Thursday, February 14, 2008

A lack of social grace

I was reading this post online and while I thought it was interesting, it was reading the first few comments that made me think. Some of the comments describing MM Lee in my opinion are unnecessarily cruel and I think many Singaporeans are quick to criticise and forget all the great things about our country.

I have my share of gripes about Singapore, but I also firmly believe that it has much to offer. I think Singapore is a good place to be, especially when you think of the bigger scheme of things. Singapore is a developed, first world country with great infrastructure. It is safe, and its people are taken care of in a sense that basic necessicities such as housing, healthcare and employment are met.

At the same token, there are many things about Singapore that I find frustrating, such as expensive housing, the corporate culture and a seemingly uncultured society. Educational and racial marginalisation are my other big gripes.

Still, it bothers me when I hear people bash the country and put it down. Never have I met people of other nationalities harbour such great disdain for their own countries (and make this known) no matter how bad things may be at home. I have only ever met people of other nationalities who are proud of where they are from. Yes, there are a lot of things that are frustrating about Singapore, but there are a lot of things that are great about it too. And at the end of the day, that is where my family is. I could say I was born in Singapore or I grew up in Singapore, but there will be those nitpicky few who will grumble that they weren't born in Singapore (even though they grew up there) or that they spent their adolescence somewhere else (even though they were born in SG).

Many families, loved ones and friends live there, even though we may not. It's like saying something negative about the house your friend lives in or the suburb in which they reside. It is just unkind. We are all entitled to our opinions and while there are things we may dislike about a place, that doesn't give us a right to put it down. We all know people like this and doesn't that bother you?

When we go to people's homes, they may have tacky furniture or a poorly co-ordinated colour scheme. But we don't declare how much we dislike it. That's insulting. The same way I find it insulting when people put down Singapore. You can raise your grievances but you don't have to be rude.

No comments: