Monday, September 04, 2006

Post 1 - Random but REAL thoughts...

Lets just see... I've been in Australia for like how long now?... Erm... 1 year + and I still can't feel that sense of ease you get when your relaxing back home in Singapore. Am I being overly sensetive to the environment? I sure hope not... For the longest time, I've been able to adapt to different place with ease, and when I first came here, I was adapting quite well... until I was reflecting on what's path I'm gonna take in life...

Then I started realising that there was this feeling tugging within me which I kinda blocked out for dunno how long already... I can't relax properly... I've made the place I'm staying at as comfortable as possible and as close to home as possible, but I just can't fully relax... I find that I'm fully at ease only in Singapore.

So now I'm torn between the place of safety and serenity and the place which I might settle down in. I'm graduating at the end of the 2006 and I need to make that choice to see where I start my career. I could go back to Singapore and work, but I also know that I'll be treated like trash cause of my profession. The noble profession of NURSING... I can see no matter what the government does to promote nursing in Singapore, we nurses will still be treated like the scum of the earth casue the association that governs the body of nurses in Singapore is the actual problem. Sigh

The appeal to work overseas is there... I get 4X more pay in Australia than I woul get in Singapore. There are unions that protect the interest of nurses and governing bodies that actually acknowledges us as people and part of the community and not some second grade maid service in the hospital.

It's concerning that the Singapore Government is still asking the same questions about why there's a shortage of local nurses with degrees or higher qualifications. That's cause even though we have the qualificaions, the way we are treated in Singapore forces us to move to other countries where our skills are more appreciated. What insentives are there in Singapore? Our degree in Nursing is treated like some certificate from the local YMCA 8 week course. What does it get us? An extra $100 a month? I mean WTF?! We upgrade ourselves and that's all we get? Plus there is no job advancements offered to graduate nurses... Can you beat that?! And the government is puzzelled about the shortage of local graduate nurses...

I know it sounds as if I'm ranting away, but if you were in my shoes and you had to make the choices between serenity and peace of mind with a pay that doesn't allow you to survive properly, versus an advancing career which lets you live comfortably but no peace of mind... you would possibly understand a fraction of what I'm feeling... Makes you wonder why we didn't sign on in the SAF...

Well, till my next post... sayonara!

1 comment:

Chest Freezer said...

That sounds absolutely terrible! :D. And yes, I would say, I -used- to be one of the guilty ones who didn't appreciate nurses.

But then, you only appreciate them once you need them. Their care, attention. And once you know what an important role they play in our society.