Saturday, September 02, 2006

On being just a footnote in the pages of history.

Something's in the pipeline at the moment, something exciting; and I am afraid now.

What goes on in the mind of your Singaporean walking along on the streets of Australia?

1) What occupies your thoughts?
2) What are your priorities?
3) What is home to you?
4) What do you think of other Singaporeans?

Just to set the record straight. I'm not being Singapore-centric because I am, I'm being so because I know it's one of my personally attainable objectives. I'm doing so for the future of our youths and our country.

Of course I am concerned about my survival; my future, and also about my partner and my family. You need those to carry on with life no matter what.

Words and wisdom on leaders and thinkers have taught myself not be a bystander. You change what you can, pick your stand and champion it.

Perhaps I just need to feel like I am working for something bigger than myself. Perhaps it could be just love, and absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Look at humanity today; like the conquering Mongols, the colonising British, their empire fragmented into the independant nations they have now. Like us Chinese all over the world now, I no longer see myself as a China Chinese, I'm now Singaporean. We are no longer thinking of it as "Our Land" - Middle Country. (Zhong Guo)

I wonder if my works will last even 2 generations of us overseas Singaporean? Will it just be a tiny footnote in the long pages of history, or will it echo through time?

No comments: