Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A Feeling Called Nostalgia

Had an interesting dream/thought the other night that reminded me of the times I spent in Singapore as a teenager.
It was so...nostalgic (for a lack of another word).

Many things have happened since I last wrote but many of them pertained to me going back home. Well...a place I still feel the most at home anyways.

Like some people I know, I am still in Brisbane because I have my future in mind. Going back to Singapore right now might not be a good thing for my future. A lack of good jobs in the IT industry as well as a lack of proper work experience deters a bright future for myself. A friend of mine told me I can actually try for a position at a local polytechnic as a tutor. An idea that has been on my mind for the longest time.
But I think I am still not ready for that yet.

The lack of a Masters Degree and sufficient working experience will leave me wanting if I returned at this time. So what are my plans? Stay at my job for another year (which will total my time spent there to 3 years...a respectable length of time), get my Masters either via part-time or a short full-time stint, and then move on.

But of course...you can never plan your next step THAT precisely. Something might happen that will compel me to leave earlier OR make me stay here longer. You never know.

And if I do go back, can I pick up where I left off?
My friends have moved on with their lives, mostly without me being in the picture.
I am no longer as used to life in Singapore as I was in the past (proven from my annual trips back home, which I cant last 2 weeks without clawing at the walls).
The lost 'connections' in Brisbane if I do go back.
And the heartaches (well...not THAT many) I left in SG when I came over.
Can I resolve all that?

I wish things were simpler.
The world needs to be smaller.

No comments: